June 10, 2009

What Are You Doing This Summer?

I'm starting a software business. Yes, that's all. In order for the business to have any chance of success at all, I need the entire summer uninterrupted. I've never worked on my own for an entire summer at a time, so I'm not sure how this will go. But I think these factors will be crucial to its success:
  • When you're working, work; and when you're not, don't.
  • Block out long chunks of uninterrupted time to work.
  • Treat the new business like a job. Start and stop working at the same time each day.
  • Maintain work/life balance. I'll still be going to the cabin on weekends this summer for some fishing, water skiing, and mountain biking.
  • Have a specific goal to complete each day. Actually, 90 minute blocks of time work well for mini-goals.
  • The initial enthusiasm I have for this business will eventually wane. Use motivational techniques to stay focused.

I have a few other things on my plate this summer as well:
  • Trips to the cabin and to visit friends and relatives on the weekends
  • Daily morning bike rides to stay energized and in shape
  • Eat a healthy diet and reduce the amount of money I'm spending at restaurants.
  • Read two books per month. The first couple of days this summer will probably be spent just reading.

A few things on my list are actually school-related:
  • I'll be taking a class to become certified to teach AP Computer Science. The class takes one week in June.
  • Meet with the new DECA officers at least once this summer to plan next year's Program of Work
  • Luckily, each class I teach next year is one that I've taught before. However, the curricula are in need of updates and improvements. Spend some time on this, but not until August.

It's important that teachers have purposeful summers. I don't say that because I think teachers should stay productive; I say that because if your summer isn't purposeful, I think you'd get bored really fast. Last summer was busy for me. For the first time since high school, I acted in a play. It was aweseome. I also took some classes and did a bunch of other things. But teachers definitely need to take proactive steps to stay busy during the summer.

It's doubtful that I'll be updating this blog much throughout the summer. I plan on taking a complete break from all things kids and education for a while. I haven't decided whether or not I'll keep writing next school year.

Writing this blog has been a great experience. Thanks to all of my readers and commenters. Have a restful and purposeful summer!

No comments: